My Serial (RS-232) device isn’t responding to a command, how do I diagnose it?
Serial devices are controlled via the Simple Blaster with Simple Cable – Serial in the Store. If you are attempting to diagnose why a device might not be responding via Serial, please follow these steps:
- Make sure the Serial Cable is connected properly on both ends using the proper wiring and gender. The two most common cable types for Serial devices are null modem cables and straight through cables. Make sure you have the correct cable type as the wrong cable will not work at all. Simple Blaster users don’t need to be concerned about this because the Simple Cable – Serial can be easily switched between the two types of cable purely in software using the Crossover setting in Simple Blaster Settings.
- Ensure the settings of your Simple Blaster are properly configured for the target device. This is accomplished via the Simple Blaster Settings. While the vast majority of equipment uses the default settings, there are exceptions. The most common difference is in the baud rate. Home theater devices often use 9600 baud. Check with the manufacturer of your device for exact information. Our serial supported device list provides information for select devices.
- Make sure you have selected the correct device type in Simple Control. Some devices have multiple similar types based on the various models. Use the Test Remote feature when adding a device to make sure you have selected the right type.
- Make sure you can connect via your web browser to the Simple Blaster using its IP address.
- If you have selected the most appropriate device type, your device is on the supported serial device list, and the device is still not responding, you may wish to look on our User Forums for any similar issues, or use in the in-app Email button in the About section to email your configuration and a description of the problem to firstname.lastname@example.org.